I found this super cute recipe for Skeleton Cookies in my Taste of Home magazine and made the dough and put it in the fridge like it said. But...when I went to roll them out, I couldn't find my little gingerbread man cookie cutter. So, I thought, it is Halloween, I have Halloween cookie cutters handy, and wa-la, cats & bats cookies for Halloween. Same dough, but different shapes!
I also did not make the glaze Taste of Home made in their recipe. I'm not fond of that sort of icing so I made cookie sandwiches instead. Super cute and easy to handle for little hands. Great to take to a party or potluck.
Chocolate Cats & Bats Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 recipe (or can) of your favorite cream cheese frosting
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For the frosting, spread 1 tablespoon of frosting on the bottom side of one cookie, top with same shape cookie, bottom side down, and press lightly so frosting spreads to the edge.